Cheese and Onion Quiche.
This is effectively a souffle in a pastry case and will put any supermarket quiche to shame. For maximum effect serve straight from the oven, but 5 minutes cooling will make it easier to eat although it will sink a litle. As it needs a relatively short time in the oven, it makes a nice summer meal served with a mixed salad and baby potatoes.
Oven at 180 degrees C, or slightly lower for a fan oven.
Large shortcrust pastry case - either ready made from the chiller cabinet, or home made and blind-baked first for 20 minutes.
3 large eggs
Small, finely chopped onion
150ml of single cream
100 - 150g of strong cheddar cheese - grated
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Fry the onion in the olive oil until soft and slightly browned.
2. Break the eggs into a jug, pour in the cream and add the salt and pepper. Beat well for a minute until the mixture is smooth.
3. Put a layer of half the cheese and all the fried onion into the pastry case.
4. Gently pour the egg mixture into the case, then sprinkle the remainder of the cheese on top.
5. Put into the oven straight away and cook for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown on top.